With everyone trying to do it all, be the perfect wife and mother, the successful entrepreneur, climb the corporate ladder, have the gorgeous house, the family trips
And on and on it’s easy to fall into the trap of being overwhelmed.
I’ve done it and constantly have to remind myself that it’s ok. There is no reason to allow overwhelm into your life if you are aware of the sneak ups that bring it on in your life. So today I thought it would be great to really discuss what can cause overwhelm and how you can avoid it.
KNOW WHAT IS IMPORTANT
Decide in your life what takes priority. Sometimes I can get overwhelmed with my work load and stressed out because I am not meeting my own expectations. BUT when you take a step back and look at what is important is your work top priority? My top priority is my family and our happiness. I know that I can get obsessed about an upcoming project or finishing a task which leads my to neglect my family. So decide what is important and make them first.
Set realistic expectations. This can be several different things. Don’t expect things to be perfect when that just isn’t reality. When taking on a task make your timeline realistic. Give yourself enough time to complete your task so your not overwhelmed when it takes you longer.
DON’T TAKE ON TOO MUCH
I am so guilty of this one. I’ve started saying no but I tend to get a bit over excited and take on too much. Don’t do it. Know what you have on your plate and decide if saying yes to another task is worth the additional work and stress.
ASK FOR HELP
Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you are overwhelmed. That can be asking your husband or kids to help out around the house, asking your coworkers, friends and family. It’s ok to ask and sometimes they can come up with alternatives to help eliminate the stress.
DON’T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF
Know that you aren’t perfect and never will be or should want to be. I have perfectionist tendencies so this one is big for me. It’s ok to not be perfect. Honestly perfect is no fun anyways. Let’s strive for real. Happy. Genuine. And confident. You are amazing so remember to take it easy on yourself.
WAYS TO TACKLE OVERWHELM
- When you are feeling overwhelmed make a list of your to dos.
- Then prioritize them, 1 being the most important to get done.
- You are going to start at 1 and work your way down with no timeline. Whatever you finish great whatever you don’t just rolls over to the next day. The goal here is to tackle the most important (also probably the one you’ve been avoiding).
- Focus! I’ve started tuning into only the task at hand and not allowing myself to sway. So no social media, no texting, no checking emails, just the task at hand.
- Take it a step further like I did and start purging your email subscriptions. Remove any of that emails you get that you are no longer interested in and keep the ones you truly value. By removing the fluff I don’t have a full email and I’m not being bothered by useless emails always coming in.
- Make your workspace clean. There is nothing that frustrates me more than working in an office that is a cluttered disaster. Clean is so much more relaxing and conducive to productive work.
- Use essential oils! I am in LOVE with Sage and always have a nebulizer in my office going with flaming smells. Right now I have a relaxation diffuser blend pack that has 4 oils in it and I always smell each one and decide which fragrance I feel that day. Kinda like a really good massage where they say your body will know what it needs.
- Be gentle. You are doing the best that you can and that is all you c an do. Go easy on yourself and celebrate your success. We work so hard to get to our goals and when we are there we don’t really appreciate or celebrate. Your doing way better than you would ever give yourself credit for.
Like today’s post? I would appreciate so much if you would comment letting me know what you loved and share it! XO Jen